Sexualization in early childhood is something that I have seen. I have seen outfits that do not seem appropriate for children. I have seen the encouragement of children having a "boyfriend or girlfriend" at a young age. There are tv shows that are based on children dancing in skimpy outfits or wearing makeup.
When children see these types of messages in advertising or on television they tend to think that they should act in the same manner. In my own classroom, I have had children ask me about sex, and if I dress differently outside of school. I have had a student tell me that I looked sexy in a dress that I wore to school.
Sexualization of children is occurring at younger and younger ages. Sometimes there are things that have been glossed over because it is an uncomfortable situation to approach.
Hi Heather,
ReplyDeleteThat is very interesting that you mention that you have seen children wearing inappropriate things such as quotes on their shirt. It makes me reflect back on the things children have worn to school and the sayings that have been on their graphic tees. Some sayings are funny, however, not appropriate for a preschool child to be wearing. It is critical that we as educators bring attention how these shirts can be expressing negative messages to other individuals and give us mix signals putting children at harm.
Thanks for sharing!
Heather,
ReplyDeleteI can remember when my girls were growing up my husband use to make them wear t-shirts under their tank tops to keep any off their chest from showing but to still permit them to wear tanks. At the time I thought he was being a little extra but it is funny how that has carried over into how they keep themselves covered now as young adults. They are comfortable in their own skin and they do not feel the need to expose themselves to fit in. It seems that along with the influence of social media and the lack of parents being parents and giving rules or guidance with the perception of how to dress or carry oneself our children and their future where as sexualization is concern is a scary thought to me.
Violanda