The area of the world that I chose to look at was Latin America and the Caribbean. The reason that I chose this region of the world to look at is that many of my students come Latin American and Caribbean countries.
Many children in these areas flee to Central America because of gang violence and death threats. Many others face an increased risk of domestic violence. Another big impact that children of this region experience natural disasters such as hurricanes that destroy their homes or towns, and are having difficulty receiving the care that they need, especially in times of COVID-19.
These types of experiences are changing the ways that these children are developing emotionally as well as educationally. They are uprooting their lives to flee to safer areas. They may not know if they are truly safe wherever they go. When children are uprooted they may halt their education as well. This can have an effect on their wellbeing because they fall behind, or may not even continue their education in the future. They are doing what they can in order to survive.
As a teacher of students from these areas, it helps me to be a little bit more understanding of where some of my students stand. It makes me want to stop and help them in any capacity that I can. However, I know that I will never know the full extent of their situation unless they are comfortable. Professionally, this makes me want to take steps to help students and their families in any way that I can in order to encourage emotional and educational growth.
Heather,
ReplyDeleteAs educators we are charged with the task of building children into stronger individuals inside and out and their mental stability is a big factor in that. Many children all over the world have challenges that they face outside of the classroom that we know nothing about. I think as we get to know our students and their families it opens a door to give them a bridge to cross when they are faced with an unstable home environment. This year has truly place everyone's mental health to limits unknown and I commend every single educator who has had to think outside the box to reach their virtual learners to let them know that they are there for them beyond the classroom.
Violanda
I truly enjoyed the decision of Latin America Heather, your distribution plainly clarifies the problems children faces from birth. Absence of drinking water, sterilization, packed immunizations permit unexpected losses from lack of healthy sustenance. Issues that are the same in Africa. In Africa there are districts where Africans need drinking water by speaking numerous passing's in youngsters and tending to genuine medical conditions in the remainder of the children population.
ReplyDelete