Resources

Meet the Teacher Hi ya'll my name is Heather Beard, and this is my early childhood education blog.  I am second grade teacher in Mary...

Sunday, December 6, 2020

Evaluating Impacts on Professional Practice

 If I was to experience certain -isms in my personal life  I would probably be affected in a few ways.

1.  I would question if those same -isms come up in professional life.

2.  I would probably want to try to figure out why I was being judged on those particular -isms

3. I would reflect on if I have any of those same biases in my professional life.

It would affect me emotionally because I do know how it feels to be judged, and it is not a positive feeling.  Cognitively I would be thinking about it constatntly.  What did I do?  Is there something that I could change?

I think that the most important one in this situation is my reflection of my professional life.  My biggest fear is bringing my own implicit-biases into the classroom.  I know that it can happen, but I strive to think before I act.  If I was experiencing -isms in my own personal life it would definitely make me stop and think about what I am doing in my classroom as well.  Could I use my experience as a teachable moment? I like to stay as positive as possible in my professional setting, but I know everything can eventually take its toll. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Heather,
    I think because you are aware that it is possible to bring some biases into the classroom setting helps you to be more conscious of your interactions with others. I like that you ask yourself questions that will lead to a better learning environment for both you and your students.

    Violanda

    ReplyDelete