Resources

Meet the Teacher Hi ya'll my name is Heather Beard, and this is my early childhood education blog.  I am second grade teacher in Mary...

Sunday, July 26, 2020

6165 Week 4

It was interesting to see the results of the evaluations from another person's perspective.  I took the test first and felt that it was pretty accurate I labeling who I am as a person.  Then I had my mom and a family friend take the test.  The scores landed within the same categories with them, except for the communication and anxiety inventory.  My family friend showed my score as low, whereas for my mom and me it was moderate, or close to high. I know that I do have anxiety when it comes to public speaking, but he does not see me speak in public often.  He normally only sees me from a friend's perspective.  
I think what was surprised me the most was the verbal aggressiveness scale quiz.  Each of us scored within the low sixties range, would put me at moderately aggressive.  I feel as though this accurate, but I had never thought of myself as aggressive in my verbal communication in any way.  As I looked at the evaluation closer I understood that even though I fell within the moderate range it was because I am able to maintain a balance as well as respect and consideration for others. 
I feel as though I understand better that you should consider the perspective of the other person as well as look beyond first impressions (O'Hair, Wiemann, Mullin, & Teven, 2018).  When you look beyond a first impression you are able to gain a different perspective.  You can find out more about a person once you get to know them and consider the perspective on certain matters.

Resources:
O'Hair, D., Wiemann, M., Mullin, D.I., & Teven, J. (2018). Real communication (3rd ed). New York: Bedford/St. Martin's

5 comments:

  1. Heather,
    First thank you for sharing. I have said it a few times now to several people including those that took the assessment that I did not agree with the verbal aggressive scale however, after hearing it from your perspective I do see it to not be as bad as it initially was when I first read it. I instantly looked at it as a bad thing that I scored to be significantly aggressive in my verbal communication. I may have just been over analyzing it and myself which is not unusual. Overall, I did learn more about myself and can certainly benefit from the feedback of the assessment and those that took it after me. One thing that I learned is that my coworker and others see me as a good listener which was a good feeling."Being able to listen to others is imperative in the communication process. This means not only listening with your ears but also being able to comprehend what the person is saying. Giving co-workers your full attention when they are conveying an idea can go a long way in building relationships and furthering progress" (TUW,2020).

    Reference
    5 Ways to Define Good Communication: Effective Communication Skills. (2020, June 09). Retrieved from https://www.tuw.edu/program-resources/good-communication/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heather,
    With verbal communication, we are also able to build relationships and trust and many other things. With verbal communication you can be able to understand people better. When you speak to someone and they respond to you as well as you continue to engage in a conversation, you will get to understand this person more because you are able to explore his emotions as well as body language through his words. Verbal communication is enhanced when a person is an effective listener. Listening doesn’t simply mean hearing; it necessitates understanding another person’s point of view (Lucas, A 2018). Take the time to think before you speak to ensure that you articulate yourself clearly. Let other people interject and have the floor. Allow time for reflection on the subject at hand.

    Amy Lucas December 11, 2018 The Importance of Verbal & Non-Verbal Communication https://oureverydaylife.com/the-importance-of-verbal-non-verbal-communication-5162572.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather, my results were interesting as well. Although my results were very similar to my two co-workers, they were surprised that I get nervous and anxiety when speaking publicly. Apparently, they had never experienced these emotions when communicating with me or in a group of other individuals. However, I learned that each assessments gave me great insights to help better myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather the results from my quiz was interesting as well. I did not recognize that my judgement can be impaired by relationships with others. The quizzes helped me see how I could improve my communication skills.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heather,
    You are so right Heather, when you look beyond the first impression you get a different perspective. First impressions are something that comes naturally, but we should always go beyond that. I actually enjoyed this activity, because I was able to see how my perspective and the perspective that others had of me were similar and how they were different. I am glad you were able to do the same.

    ReplyDelete