When I am work I find myself putting my professional hat on more and more. My language is different than when I am communicating with my husband or other members of my family. I have noticed that I tend to take more time when I speak to colleagues or parents of students. I calculate exactly what I am going to say, where is with my husband or family members I am freer in the speech that I choose to use.
I even notice that I communicate with my friend's family different. Recently I joined a birthday party for my friend's son. My friend is Puerto Rican, and I notice that her family is loud and open whereas my family is a little bit quieter at family gatherings. When I am with my friends and her family I am more loud and open, but when I turned to speak to my husband my speech changed.
I think that some strategies I might be able to use in future situations such as these are:
1. Allowing myself to be more open (allowing friends, co-workers, and even parents of students to see a more personal side of myself without going to deep.)
2. To not make assumptions (This will allow me to go into any new communication with an open mind.)
3. Learning practices of others (This could be very useful when it comes to communicating with colleagues, students, and parents of students.)
Heather, usually my relationship determines how I communicate with other individuals. As a professional, I believe that we change our lines of communication depending on our relationship and surrounding. I am very professional at work, silly and sociable and with my family and friends, and very mild manner in the company of my church family and friends.
ReplyDeleteHeather,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your post. That is interesting you said your language is different at work than at home. I agree with you that I use different language as well because it is more formal and professional.
I really like the strategies you included! Thanks for sharing.
Heather, Your post was very informative. I found it interesting that you don't speak freely with your co workers considering the amount of time you spend with them. I love your strategies for communication.
ReplyDelete