One hope that I have when it comes to working with children and families from diverse backgrounds is that I make a lasting impression working with them. That the families and the children feel comfortable coming to talk to me about matters of culture and diversity within the classroom and learning environment. That parents and children still want to come and talk to me after the students have left my classroom.
A goal that I hope to set for the early childhood field is for continued education of those working in the field. I would like to see more anti-bias and diversity training for new employees as well as seasoned employees. Training is a good way to continue the education of everyone in the early childhood field so that they have an understanding as diversity education continues changing.
I want to say thank you to my peers that have given me information and suggestions throughout this class. I have enjoyed the conversation and learning that has occurred through discussion and your writings. This is an amazing group of early childhood educators. Good luck for the future.
-Heather Rand
Heather, I think making a lasting impression is a great way to create a strong relationship. You are created a welcoming environment and in the words of Maya Angelou "people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel".
ReplyDeleteHeather,
ReplyDeleteI agree with your post for this week's blog. In the field of early childhood, training in anti-bias and diversity should be a ongoing so that we would have a better understanding of the changes in society.