Resources

Meet the Teacher Hi ya'll my name is Heather Beard, and this is my early childhood education blog.  I am second grade teacher in Mary...

Saturday, March 21, 2020

Week 3

Option 2:

Although I really enjoyed the idea of looking further into research that has had positive impacts on the early childhood community, I like the idea of letting my creativity flow in thinking What could I do in research? 

If I did not have anything holding me back I would enjoy doing more research in working with students from other countries.  I work in a high immigration population neighborhood.  My students come from all over the world and are trying to assimilate into our culture. I would enjoy the research that focuses on bringing cultures to the classroom as well as finding ways for students to feel more comfortable in a new country, school, and content area.

I feel that this type of study would not only affect children but families as well.  What do we as educators need to know in order to make families feel as though our school systems are open to them and their children coming to us with questions and issues? I think that it would be important to see if working with the families of these students help the students in the long run.  Could we teach families more about our language and finding jobs in the area, so that they are able to provide for their families?

This type of research would take a lot, such as following families from the moment they enter the country.  I think that this would be positive because then families and children would feel more comfortable with immigration and learning in a new community. 




3 comments:

  1. Heather, that would be wonderful topic to study especially since so families are not born in the United States. I think it would be very beneficial in supporting families and help them transition to a new area and help them understand our culture, language and how to be successful by finding a career path that best fits them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather,
    Great post! I would love to follow up with some research studies as well. I am sure that we only witness the surface of children and their families issues and do not see the true affects. Building relationships is a helpful way to bring diversity to the classroom. Pictures make children and their families feel comfortable, but when parents bring items that represent their culture is another way to bring comfort and support a sense of belonging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Heather,
    Such a great goal for research. I would enjoy reading what valuable outcomes your would have in how to help other countries or what we could learn from them in the early childhood field. Thank you for our creativity.

    ReplyDelete