There were so many different stories to read I wasn't even sure where to begin. I loved that I was able to look at these stories and get to experience different voices, those who work with the fund, and those who benefit from the help of others. I love seeing the research and learning that goes into finding ways to improve the lives of children all over the world.
Their blog page can be accessed here.
Next this week we were challenged to look at different websites that work to educate people on poverty in homelessness. I looked at the Institute for Children, Poverty & Homelessness, also known as ICPH.
Their website can be accessed here.
On their websites homepage they have words scrolling by that say:
Homelessness is a
- community
- family
- housing
issue.
Their goal is to show that homelessness affects so many, but it has a major impact on the students of the communities. They want to show that the community can be rural, industrial, suburban, or city. Everyone can be affected by this, but how can we make a change?
Hi Heather, I really enjoyed your blog for this week's discussion. This was my first time hearing about the Institute for Children, Poverty & Homelessness (ICPH) so thank you for bringing this to my attention. I like how they point out that the cause of homelessness varies. Many times people often judge or try to assume they know why someone is asking for money or food, yet getting to that point can be caused by a number of things. As the site stated, Homelessness is a Housing issue. The impact of the 2008 housing market left a number of people without. We have to be slow to criticize and quick to help.
ReplyDeleteHi Heather,
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing! This was my first time hearing about the Institute for Children, Poverty, and Homelessness (ICPH). You brought up a very good point about how homelessness can affect everyone, even if you are not directly impacted by a factor to cause homelessness. How can we, as early childhood practitioners, better serve our community? What else needs to be done to provoke change?