Resources

Meet the Teacher Hi ya'll my name is Heather Beard, and this is my early childhood education blog.  I am second grade teacher in Mary...

Thursday, November 14, 2019

My connections to play

Mr. Rogers quote about PLAY  #preschool #preK #mrrogers #fredrogers #play #childhood #quotes
Oh Mr. Rogers, you wonderful, wonderful man.  This quote truly sums up how I felt about play growing up, how my parents wanted me to view play, and how I want my students and future children to view play.  Play is a chance for children to do their own type of work.  They are learning!
Play is the highest form of research--Albert Einstein
What an amazing way of putting it. Play is a time for students and children to learn.  It's a chance to be put into situations where they can learn where they do not have to experience real repercussions. As I played when I was younger, I learned much about what it means to be an adult and a child.


Play was always very important to me as a child!  I was the child who taught my dolls and my little brother, whenever I could drag him into my bedroom.  My brother and I could be found outside playing all day, running and flipping off of our swingset that was in our backyard.  We were always moving.  There were a few toys that were important to me throughout my entire childhood.

Image result for american girl doll kit
 The Kit American Girl Doll.  She went with me everywhere.  I read all of the books and I had all the different outfits.  My best friend had a Felicity doll and we played with them all of the time.  We would dress them up and make up different situations for them to be a part of.  We would write stories, and read the books that were about them.  

Image result for Jennifer water baby 
My Jennifer water baby.  She was my favorite toy ever.  I took her everywhere with me, and she was my comfort toy.  She was the one who laid next to me in bed at night and who "protected" me when I was sick.  My parents originally got me my Jennifer doll when my brother was a baby.  It was like I had my very own baby to take care of.

Image result for password journal girl tech
Last, but not least, my Password Journal.  I'm not sure if this is technically a toy, but I was obsessed with it.  My parents always wanted me to practice my writing (because my handwriting was horrendous when I was a child.)  My teacher suggested that I start writing in a diary on a day-to-day basis.  Well, of course, I had a nosey little brother, so this was the diary that I HAD TO HAVE.  It was voice-activated with a special password, and it would alarm when anyone else ever tried to get into it.  It was COOL.  I loved this journal, and it honestly made me want to write every day.  I used it all of the time.  It is still packed away somewhere at my parent's house protecting my secrets.

My family always encouraged my brother and me to play.  Play is very important in the role of early childhood.  It is a learning process for many children, and I believe that it is important to encourage play at all stages of life.

4 comments:

  1. Dear Heather,
    Your blog on your childhood connections caught my attention as I see similarities in our childhood relationships concerning owning a doll. Owning a doll, bathing, dressing, feeding and cooking for the doll was one of my childhood fantasy. I simply adorn my toy and I think that's what makes me a great mother and leader today. Thanks for these great memory reminder. Moreover Oprah states that "the choice to be a mother is the choice to become one of the greatest spiritual teachers there is" Well done and God bless you.
    Best Regards,
    Queen Josephine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Heather, great post. Thanks for sharing your childhood memories. Some of your memories are so familiar to me because I remember having some of the same toys as well. I love your statement on how children are able to show of their work through play. That is so true because child are able to play with all types of toys that encourage them to pretend to build, cook, write, read, draw, and etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather, I really enjoyed your post. It seems as though you had a very memorable childhood with your dolls. Unfortunately, I was not exposed to lots of toys, especially dolls. My sister and I shared a huge hand me down doll house without dolls, that was given to us as a gift from the little girls that my grandmother looked after. My childhood experiences were remembered mostly playing outdoors exploring nature, jacks stones, jump roping, and various physical activities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather,
    I love your quotes!!! Mr. Rodgers had a great impact on children's lives. To this day I miss his show, it was my favorite!! You use to line your dolls up and pull your brother in to pretend to teach and I would line my teddy bears up and pull my brother in. That is funny because I thought I was the only one that use to do that. I remember for a couple of years my Christmas list included a big chalkboard that I could flip, like the ones they use to have in the class. I never received it so I settled for my dollar store chalk boards. Even with my small chalkboard I still felt like I was a teacher with a class full of students. Great Post and thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete