Resources

Meet the Teacher Hi ya'll my name is Heather Beard, and this is my early childhood education blog.  I am second grade teacher in Mary...

Friday, July 5, 2019

Welcome to week four of my blog!  I found quite a few quotes that I wanted to add, but I chose a few that I liked the best!  I hope you enjoy!

“We are fond of saying “practice makes perfect,” and indeed the title of this book plays on the connection between practice and perfection. But it is more accurate to say that practice makes permanent.” 
-Doug Lemov


I have no idea how many times my favorite high school teacher, Mrs. Downs, said this to me my senior year.  She ingrained this in my head.  I have caught myself saying "practice makes perfect" more than once, but then I think back to Mrs. Downs.  Practice makes permanent definitely helped me to get routines down in high school and college that kept me on track.  I am going to work more to say this to my students as a form of encouragement.

"We must be the compassion that we wish to see in others!"
-Janet Gonzales-Mena

What a powerful quote.  If we are do not teach and lead by showing compassion that is one last chance for our students to show compassion to one another.

"We as professionals in the early childhood field have an opportunity to shape a child's life for the better, and so that makes me passionate about this field."
-Sandy Escobido

This quote is from the video we watched during the media presentation we viewed during week 2.  This particular quote hit home for me because I always like to think of students minds as a blank slate so that we are able to mold their minds.  We also help to shape the lives of our students.  We can be the change for them.  We can be the reason that they have a positive change in their lives.  This makes me passionate about what I do as a teacher.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, I love the quote by Janet Gonzalez-Mena! That is a good one! I see we also picked the same one from week two. She really nailed it with that one. Great job Heather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Samantha! Isn't Janet's quote amazing? I want to learn so much more from her!

      Delete
  2. Heather I love your quotes. Especially the one by Janet Gonzales-Mena. We have to be the compassion we want to see. We have to be able to treat people with respect in order to get respect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Heather! Great choice in quotes. I really love the quote from Sandy because its true and its something I remind myself daily. See your students grow and learn more and more makes any teacher proud and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Heather,
    I love the quotes you chose! I really enjoyed Doug Lemov's quote, though. I've honestly never heard someone phrase it that way. What a great way to think about it. I struggle in my personal life with building new habits, but that's a great way to think about them. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heather,
    I love the quotes that you chose. I especially like the one by Sandy Escobido. I chose to work in the early childhood education program like Escobido because I wanted to change the students that I work with lives for the better.

    ReplyDelete