This week we were challenged to look at two different codes of ethics and pick three ideals that were meaningful to us. I don't know about the rest of you, but this was a slight challenge for me. I hope I can do these ideals that I chose justice.
I-1.11—To provide all children with experiences in a
language that they know, as well as support children
in maintaining the use of their home language and in
learning English.
This ideal really hit me, since I do work in an area where my students are all diverse culturally. I have students who are from El Salvador, Mexico, Haiti, Ethiopia, Nigeria, and more. They each have their own language and culture. My "newcomer" students always floor me with the amount of English that they are able to learn and understand in such a short amount of time. They are so determined, at such a young age. I love this ideal, because we do work with our students in order to encourage them to use their home language. I ask my students to teach me key words and phrases, because I want to be able to connect with them more, than just forcing them to learn my language.
1. We shall demonstrate in our behavior and language respect and appreciation for the unique value
and human potential of each child.
This is our chance to show our students that they each have potential. These children come to us in such a vulnerable state. They come to learn, they come to grow, they come to feel comfortable. We are role models for each and every single one of our students. I love this ideal because I do appreciate each and every one of my students, but I'm not sure that I show that 100% of the time. Hopefully this will help me to remember to support them and show them their value every step of the way.
I-2.1—To be familiar with the knowledge base related to
working effectively with families and to stay informed
through continuing education and training
This ideal was one of my favorites because it not only touched on working with families, but it touched on exactly why I am working towards my masters degree. I want to continue my education and training. Not just for me. I want to be able to learn more each and every day, from my students, mentors, and colleagues. One of my largest goals is always to work effectively with families, keeping myself and them informed on everything to do with the proper and effective education of their child.
The NAEYC Code of Ethical Conduct was developed to uphold the application of core values, ideals, and principles to assist teachers’ decision-making about ethical issues. The Core Values of the NAEYC Code of Ethical Conduct is based on the foundation of the field's commitment to young children.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your blog tonight on the code of ethic. I agree with the idea of continues training for teachers to stay up on the current information and techniques of teaching.
DeleteDiane
Vulnerable is an accurate way to describe to state of children when they enter our classrooms. Even those children that don't come from disadvantaged homes. My son recently, who is the most well-mannered of all my children recently shared with me his anxiety about entering his third grade classroom. Thank you for making all your students feel safe and accepted in your classroom.
ReplyDeleteHello Heather, I really enjoyed your post this week. I think you did a good job picking the codes you pick. The codes you picked would help you build a relationship with your parents and also help you to make sure your students are getting the proper language.
ReplyDeleteHeather,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your blog this week. You and I have some of the same ideals. My main goal is to help those children and their families. The children learn better when they are in a safe and clean environment.
Heather,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading you response to this weeks assignment. When the children first come to us they are vulnerable. This maybe there first time away from their families and they may have trouble opening up. I believe like you do that it can be changed by us showing them the respect and appreciation that they deserve.
Heather:
ReplyDeleteI thoroughly enjoyed your blog posting this week. As educators, we must be committed to children as stated by NAEYC.
Katrina
Hello Heather:
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your ECE thoughts, pictures, quotes, etc. I really enjoyed responding to your blog. You did a fantastic job!
Katrina
Hi Heather, I enjoyed being in this course with you. I loved reading your discussion and blogs. I hope you continue on through this journey in early childhood. The sky is the limit. You will do great throughthroughout this field and in life. Marquitta Patterson
ReplyDeleteHello Heather thank you for sharing your knowledge and resources with the class during this course. I think you did a good job and you put your all in everything you done this course. I think you are an amazing teacher and you're going to make your students better yearly.
ReplyDeleteHi Heather,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading everything from you during this course. I loved reading your posts! Your passion for not only teaching, but learning is obvious through your words. I look forward to continuing this program with you!
Hi Heather I would like to commend you on the great post that you have done these past weeks. I appreciate how in-depth you were with research from data collected. I would like to wish you the best in your future endeavors.
ReplyDeleteTammy,
DeleteI agree, Heather did a great job of going in depth in her responses. It was always eye opening reading her responses for the week!
Heather,
ReplyDeleteI just want to thank you ladies for being positive and great supporters! You all have shared great resources and information regarding the early childhood education field. I have learned many things over these past eight weeks that I did not have any knowledge of. I wish you both the best in life with your education journey. This is only the beginning for you ladies. There is more to come.