1. I had him tell me his point of view, and then he allowed me the chance to give my point of view. Once we both understood where the other was coming from we were able to compromise by putting them in a place that was easily accessible for both of us.
2. Once this conflict had been handled we decided to have a healthy debate with one another. Debating with one another about how our house should be set up helped us to speak to one another without attacking one another.
We have always promised each other that we would never attack one another physically or emotionally. However, we do have to build on our communication skills and understand that conflict is going to arise in many situations. The greatest lesson that we have learned is to allow the conflict to help us build our communication with one another rather than allowing it to tear us down.
I think that approaching one another in this way has allowed me to think about how to handle conflict when it arises between colleagues and myself. I want to build my relationships with my colleagues and gain an understanding of the way that they think and feel about certain situations. I think that understanding and recognizing conflict will help me to approach it in the future.
Heather,
ReplyDeleteAs humans, we all have different views on the same thing which makes it difficult to reach common grounds. I realize that there are so many ways to resolve conflicts, including the great way that you and your husband resolved the conflict about your home. Collaborating and comprising are effective communication skills that help with understanding and respecting what the other individual is thinking or saying.
It is understood that you have to make your point in an argument. However, how you make your point also matters. The one thing that’s difficult to maintain in an argument is the calmness. But, it is an avoidable conflict resolution technique. It is obvious that when you’re in a conflict with someone, you would lose your mind and will end up saying or doing things that you never wanted to do.
ReplyDeleteRachael Pace (May 6, 2020) Best Conflict Resolution Techniques for Every Relationship https://www.marriage.com/advice/relationship/conflict-resolution-techniques/
Heather, I loved how you and your husband took a break to evaluate your feelings as well as your point of view. It is important to remember that sharing your point of view can often help the other person see what is stressing you about the situation. It is very important to rely on truthful views and compromise in a marriage because it will bring you closer in your relationship
ReplyDeleteHeather,
ReplyDeleteI can definitely relate to that situation. I am three years in and in the beginning we had debates and arguments over the simplest things. Sometimes it can be difficult transitioning from your own space to a shared space. Communication is the key. I am glad that you two were able to work out that situation and praying that the lessons you learned in this class helps you throughout your marriage.