This week I observed microaggression occur with a member of my family. My sister-in-law graduated with her degree in nursing this week, and I am extremely proud of her. She has worked so hard, staying up late studying with my brother, who is also working to be a nurse. When she posted about her graduation on Facebook someone commented saying that this was a wonderful career choice for her because women are good at taking care of others. In this particular situation, the person was saying that she was good at nursing because she was a woman. Little do they know that my brother is also going to be a nurse. Does that make him not a good nurse because he is a man? Both my brother and sister-in-law had microaggressions towards them, without even knowing it. This situation made me upset because I know how hard they both have worked to move forward in their careers. It does not matter their gender, they both have a passion for their career field and want to help others.
Until this class, I never realized how often microaggressions can occur. Now that I know the exact definition I realize how often I have actually seen it. Prejudice and stereotypes happen in everyday life, but as educators, we need to see both prejudice and stereotypes and figure out how to approach it properly. Show our students that it exists and that we know how to educate ourselves on the situations at hand.
Heather, I am sorry that your family had to experience gender microaggressions. The fact that they both are nurses speaks volume. As an educator, I encounter parents of all race who are doctors and nurses, both male and female, and I am grateful. We must understand the significance and need of having qualified nurses who are dedicated to serving the public, instead of worrying about the gender.
ReplyDeleteHeather, I wish your brother and sister-in-law much success in their careers. It is sad they we face stereotypes and microaggressions on a day to day bases. As educators I also feel we must educate ourselves in order to educate others.
ReplyDelete