Resources

Meet the Teacher Hi ya'll my name is Heather Beard, and this is my early childhood education blog.  I am second grade teacher in Mary...

Sunday, May 24, 2020

Week 3: Perspectives on Diversity and Culture

For this assignment I chose to ask my husband, my dad, and my teacher friend, Jessica,  what their definition of culture and diversity were.

My husband:
"Culture is your upbringing and your lively hood.  It's not something that you grow into, it's something that you're born with."
"Diversity is multi-dimensional.  It can be multi- anything.  It depends on what perspective you are looking from.  There is diversity in culture.  There is diversity in teaching/instructing.  There is diversity in your beliefs, your well-being, and others as well.  No one person acts, thinks, or decides the same, we all have our own beliefs."

My dad
"Culture is the sum total of all the influences and inputs into your life from all those around you, especially your family, and then your learning inputs."
"I would say it's allowing unexpected and outside influences to come into your ecosystem."

My teacher friend, Jessica:
"To me, culture defines the values and traditions that are adapted from your family."
"Diversity is a mixture of culture."


I feel as though what I have learned in this class was talked about when I spoke to each party.  There were points about how culture and diversity are multi-dimensional, but there was a distinct difference between what culture and diversity can be described as.  However, I believe from what I have learned in this course, that diversity has roots within your culture.  Our beliefs may make us different, but they are part of our culture as well.

I liked the opportunity to hear from different parties to find out what their definition of culture and diversity is.  I spoke to my husband who is a male, my dad who is older, and my teacher friend, who is in the same profession as me.  I liked that each of their definitions had specifics connected to them, to make the definition their own. I believe that as this course continues my definitions of culture and diversity will grow and change. 


BONUS JOKE:
My dad also said that culture is what is in your yogurt (dad jokes)


1 comment:

  1. Hi Heather, I believe that there are many aspects that define both culture and diversity. I can say that culture is the way of life that influences your personal identity and diversity can be defined as understanding and recognizing individual differences. Nevertheless, I respect and value each definition of the three different responses you received, which will continue to grow and change as the face of our society grows and changes.

    ReplyDelete